Dr. Ottenheimer is an active member of Physicians for Human Rights and has been a pro bono medical examiner for women asylum seekers for over a decade. Dr. Ottenheimer currently volunteers with both the Human Rights Clinic at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and at the Weill Cornell Clinic for Human Rights. She has particular expertise in violence against women including Female Genital Mutilation(FGM), Sexual Abuse, Human Trafficking and Intimate Partner Violence. Dr. Ottenheimer is also a member of the New York Working Group on FGM, a cross sectoral group dedicated to the eradication of FGM.
FURTHER READING – FGM:
This American Life Episode #586 May 6, 2016 with Mariya Karimjee
Cut, by Hibo Wardere
Female Genital Mutilation in the United States: Protecting Girls and Women in the United States from FGM. Sanctuary for Families Report 2014
FURTHER READING – HUMAN RIGHTS AND WOMEN:
Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide (Vintage) – by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
Women on the Run: UNHCR report
Sex and World Peace, Valerie M. Hudson
Dr. Ottenheimer first volunteered in Haiti in July 2010 after the earthquake. Since then she has returned twice a year to teach healthcare professionals and is committed to improving the health of Haitian women and girls. She works primarily with Hope for Haiti Foundation as a consulting physician and instructor.
- Hope for Haiti Foundation:
a multifaceted project currently working in rural Beinet to improve maternal morbidity and mortality by providing prenatal care and facilitating access to regional medical centers. Dr. Ottenheimer has worked extensively with HFHF since 2011
- Midwives for Haiti: Midwives For Haiti educates Haitian men and women in providing prenatal care and skilled birth assistance to their fellow Haitian sisters, who too frequently either die in childbirth or lose their newborn without such care. Dr. Ottenheimer volunteers to help train these students.
- Project Medishare (in affiliation with the University of Miami School of Medicine)
- (Dr. Ottenheimer worked with this program in 2010 after the earthquake)
- Partners in Health/Zanmi Lasante
- Doctors without Borders / Medecins Sans Frontieres
- J/P Haitian Relief Organization (Sean Penn’s organization)
Haitian Education and Leadership Program: HELP‘s mission is to create, through merit and needs based scholarships, a community of young professionals and leaders who promote a more just society in Haiti.
Please be wary of the NGO’s asking for your support. Not all help as much as you think. Do your homework before you give. For more, watch the documentary Poverty, Inc.
- Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World - by Tracy Kidder
- On That Day, Everybody Ate: One Woman’s Story of Hope and Possibility in Haiti by Margaret Trost and Paul Farmer
- Paradise Lost: Haiti’s Tumultuous Journey from Pearl of the Caribbean to Third World Hotspot – by Philippe R. Girard
- Travesty in Haiti: A true account of Christian Missions, Orphanages, Fraud, Food Aid and Drug Trafficking – by Timothy T Schwartz Ph.D
- The Uses of Haiti (3rd Edition) – by Paul Farmer, Noam Chomsky, and Jonathan Kozol (Paperback – Apr 1, 2005)
- Haiti in the Balance: Why Foreign Aid has failed and what we can do about it by Terry F. Buss
- Haiti After the Earthquake, by Paul Farmer (2011)